Josh opened up our series by teaching through Acts 1:8. He asked these three great questions…
What does Jesus mean when He calls us to be His “witnesses”?
What is our Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria? What does it look like to be a witness to each one?
Where is it easiest for you to be a witness? Hardest? Why?
BY THE WAY, this was also the introduction to the “Hot Seat”!
Acts 2:1-13 “The Church Begins”
1. Pentecost, Wind & Fire?
Connecting back to Exodus and Mt. Sinai. A new community (family) with a unique set of values that defines what life is all about.
2. Holy Spirit in… you or us?
God’s Spirit dwells in Ya’ll
Acts 2:42-47 “The Church Gathers and Grows”…
1. Devoted to ? (what are you devoted to?)
2. Who/What influences you?
3. Are you generous? Would you move towards sacrificial?
Acts 3:1-16 “Healing and Proclaiming”
1. John & Peter? John 21
2. People were astonished… John 14:12
3. Point others to Jesus? Acts 3:9&16
Acts 8&13 “The First Church Grows (& grows & grows…)”
Acts 1:15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty)
Acts 2:41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
Acts 2:47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
Acts 4:4 But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about five thousand.
Acts 5:14 Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number.
Acts 6:7 So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.
1. “added to their numbers”
2. Take Mission seriously?
3. Pain has Purpose.
4. Giving your BEST away?
Acts 17 “Among Other Gods” (Chris taught this classic passage)
1. Stoics and Epicureans? It’s good for us to know the popular philosophies of our day!
2. Can you make a compelling case for Jesus in a world of competing Gods?
Acts 19:23-41 “Riots”
1. What are you best know for?
2. How many ways can identify that the news of Jesus is causing trouble in Ephesus?
3. What difficult things have you had to give up to follow Jesus?
4. Are you causing any riots (or how is God shaking your life up)?
Acts 20:13-40 “Riots”
1.vs.25 Why go? Why face possible jail or even death? Wouldn’t it be better to send someone else and Paul keeps out on the road starting Churches?
2. Whats you’re “Task”?
vs.23-24 “Task” = job, duty, chore, charge, assignment, detail, mission, engagement, occupation, undertaking, exercise, business, responsibility, burden, endeavor, enterprise, venture.
There was so much more we could of covered in this great book! What are your favorite sections in Acts?